Wednesday, April 23, 2008

What a marvelous modern age we live in...



I note with happiness that Amazon.com has recently made both volumes of the Oxford Middleton available for full-text searching. Besides giving all you fence-sitters the chance to read a few pages before putting your money down, Amazon's "search inside" button is wonderful for finding something in a hurry or checking your memory when a book is at home and you're supposed to be working. I've looked up countless recipes in my favorite cookbooks, for instance, so as to check my shopping list for the afternoon commute. And now I can find every occurrence of "complete textual apparatus" in my Middleton at the press of a key. And I remember when the Internet was nothing but Star Trek geeks insulting each other in newsgroups at 1200 baud.

No comments: